Monday, October 20, 2008

10,000 hours away


I came across this article today : Malcolm Gladwell says that if you want to shine, put in 10,000 hours

In it, a line says, "The best way to achieve international stardom is to spend 10,000 hours honing your skills".

His study cites cases from tennis players (Williams sisters), Tiger Woods, the Beatles and Bill Gates.
I think to myself - I have an average of 16 waking hours daily. If I take away 8 hours at work, 3 hours for meals/travelling/waiting, I would have 5 hours left. Opps, I forgot, I'm a girl so I have to factor one hour for facial stuff/makeup/hair. That leaves me with 4 hours. 1 hour is for praying and 1 hour is factored in for miscellaneous stuff like surfing the net, lazing around, being on the phone.

And if I have 2 hours everyday to practice my drum strokes.. IF I have. It will take 13.sth years for me to be a master in drums. I'm 21 years old. By then I would be 34 and taking way more responsibilities than I am now.

Damn, I shouda started earlier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by the article! Ya lor... must spend more time on the things which we wanna shine... =)