Friday, May 19, 2006

Billy Cobham drum clinic 17 May

Got a free ticket to watch Billy Cobham in action, thanks to Aloy. Was thrilled to receive his msg at around 5pm last Wed (17 May), when the show would be at 730pm.

Took a picture with the legend. He told me he started playing since he was three. !?!!?! man. I wished I had started earlier.

It was held at Balmoral Plaza, some ulu mall (think Peninsula) at Bukit Timah. It was at this something Silver Pub (think small shady pub in Far East). Kinda taken aback to find out that the drum clinic hosting this international act was really in there.

The show was good! Learnt a few things:

  • Volumes of playing can create different vibes
  • Training the left hand to be a lead in playing - practise stroking with heavy textbook on the lefty
  • Tuning of drums to create the kind of environment suited for personal preference
  • Using two drumsticks on both hands on the drumset (like mallet players)
  • Try wacky stuff like sticking a drumstick in the middle of the highhat
  • You could be playing a simple rhythm, but if you get people in the crowd bopping in the head with you, you're on the right track.

Of course that was not all that I got from the show. The display of his groove on the drums, the way he knew how to make his drums work for him, not the other way around.

I wanna learn to play these simultaneously - double on my right foot, rhumba clave on my left hand, shuffle on my right hand, and quarter open close high-hat on my left food.

Anyway, really grateful that Aloysius invited me for the show. and Val for accompanying me.

Countdown : 19 more weeks to the end of attachment

No comments: