Sunday, December 02, 2007

First taste of marathon

It was a chore to wake up when the alarm rang at 5:00am. Lazily I snoozed it for a few times (during which my mind said just skip the run..) After much struggling, I awoke and got changed into marathon attire. We took a cab to bras basah complex and left our belongings in my sister's friend's car. In that early hour, we already saw many who were dressed for the run and heading towards the esplanade. The guys' 10km run started at 7:15am and ours, 8:00am. For me, as a first timer, I was unsure if I could finish the race. After the unbearable wait, we stepped on the trackpad at the starting line. Hordes of us ladies ran! As we ran past Fullerton Hotel, a cold wind blast sent the chills. Next, we went by Lau Pa Sat, and the whiffs sent images of local hawker delights to my mind..I quickly dismissed the images and concentrated on the run. I was pretty surprised when I saw the sign to indicate we had finished 1km. Oh well, but it was still a long way. Adidas provided a tag in the runners package to get runners to write motivational messages and pin them on our backs during the run.
Along the way, there were some interesting ones, and I found they really do motivate fellow runners.
I particularly loved the pair of sisters who ran in cheerleading costume and held pompoms in their hands. One sister wrote on the tag on her back "My sister made me do this". Another runner wrote "I fought breast cancer to run this race." And many others encouraging others to continue to run.

I've never ran past 5 or 6km in my life, I believe and by the time I crossed the U-turn point, my mind lost its strength. I stopped for about a minute and continued..running, this time the legs heavier. The run between 7 - 8.point something km seemed to be pretty fast..until I saw the 9km sign.. I kept running.. craning my neck to find the finishing point but it seemed to be neverending.. and finally, a glimpse of the Padang. Now, to go for the last 150m! Off i went and crossed the finishing line! I felt really satisfied, having finished 10km for the first time in my life. I submitted my running chip and scooted drowsily to the info counter to find Patrick and Rallen sitting under a shade. Whoo. It was really a great experience!








this is how he motivates? "Are we there yet?"

too stoned to react to their bullying






No comments: